The Framing Camera is the scientific imaging system of the Dawn Mission to the two complementary protoplanets 1 Ceres and 4 Vesta.
- Investigate and compare (prominent) members of the asteroid population that formed very early in solar system history (~ 4.563 billion years ago) and were able to preserve information from the time of terrestrial planet formation
- Characterize the transition from a primitive body (1 Ceres) to an evolved body (Vesta) - understand role of water and Al-26 in controlling asteroid evolution
- Determine volume, shape, spin state, composition, mass and environment
- Surface morphology, variegation, cratering, magnetism
- Confirm Vesta as the parent body of the HED meteorites